Monday, February 1, 2010


As a full-time musician who doesn’t feel particularly called to teaching or playing covers at the bar, I have had fewer opportunities than most when it comes to making money playing music. Something I do love to do is lead worship. I have been serving in this capacity at my home church, The Village, for several years. Over the last few months, I also began singing background vocals with my friend and fellow musician, Chad Hailey, at the church where he leads worship, Grace Heritage Community Church. I started exploring the opportunity of going on staff at a church as part of their worship team. I was able to connect with Joel Miller of The Summit and after hearing his heart for God and the church I started getting excited about the possibility of hopping on board. I was offered the position and after prayer about leaving The Village to take this job I have decided to accept.

This is a bittersweet decision for me because The Village has been so integral in my spiritual growth up to now. I still remember being a freshman in college and reluctantly tagging along to visit The Village with a couple girls form my dorm. I heard Matt preach a sermon on Hebrews 12:1 and suddenly it was real to me. I had sat through dozens of sermons before and had heard the gospel, knew the gospel, but it wasn’t real to me until then. I desired to throw off my sin and live for God instead of myself. Since then I’ve developed a true family in the church. I’ve seen what true forgiveness looks like, deep fellowship, fasting, prayer, weeping, joy, community, service, honesty, love. I’m not the same person that I was in 2003. Praise God.

Leaving The Village would mean leaving this dear place where I have been built up and shepherded well and encouraged and loved on. It means leaving a place of sound doctrine and teaching and constant refining. It also means an opportunity to take what I’ve learned and share it with a new group of people. And, to see what gospel community looks like outside of the 4 walls I’ve come to know so well. It means I will get to plant seeds of truth for ears that may have never heard about Christ. Or, never believed. Please pray for me as I step outside of my comfort zone to embark on this new journey. I don’t know what God has in store for me or the rest of the crew at The Summit, but I am so excited to get to be a part of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment