Monday, January 4, 2010

Blogging on the Regular


This is the first of my regular blog series for 2010! I’ll be updating once a week and the topics will vary. My hope is to alternate between a. How God is moving in my own life and b. What God is doing in my neighborhood, Denton, and the world.

I don’t want to ever get used to the little miracles that happen every day. This blog will force me to take notice, and will hopefully inspire you, too.

Wanting Wisdom

After hearing lots of great things about Mark Driscoll, I started listening to some of his sermons on podcast, particularly a series on Proverbs. Proverbs is part of the “wisdom literature” in the Bible. I’d always thought I was someone who sought wisdom, but God so graciously revealed to me that I have been a fool for a while. There is a difference between sin and folly. It is may not be a sin to ride a motorcycle in the rain, but it is folly (silly Bella Swan). It may not be sin for an 18-year-old freshman in college to get a credit card, but it is folly. See the difference? While I have been striving to press into Christ and put to death the sin that he revealed to me, I had been making life more difficult all the while by living in folly. My prayer for the New Year is that I won’t be turned off by things like planning, budgeting, setting goals, seeking counsel, and self discipline. In the past I had seen those as limitations and barriers to living life to the fullest, but now I see that abandoning those things is just foolishness. A few verses to ponder…

There is a way which seems right to a man, but its end is the way of death. Proverbs 16:25

Without consultation, plans are frustrated, but with many counselors they succeed. Proverbs 15: 22

A wise man is cautious and turns away from evil, but a fool is arrogant and careless. Proverbs 14:16

Poverty and shame will come to him who neglects discipline, but he who regards reproof will be honored. Proverbs 13:18

Forsake your folly and live, and proceed in the way of understanding. Proverbs 9:6

“A little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to rest”- your poverty will come in like a vagabond and your need like an armed man. Proverbs 6: 10-11

Watch over your heart with all diligence, for from it flow the springs of life. Proverbs 4:23

No comments:

Post a Comment