Thursday, October 1, 2009

Sooo you're not trying to get signed?

Since I’ve started truly pursuing a career in music, people often ask me if I’m trying to get signed. When I tell them no, they’re usually pretty surprised. What a lot of people don’t know is that the music industry is doing some serious overhauling right now, and it doesn’t operate the way it used to. There was a time when talent scouts went to all the underground music hot spots and looked for a band with a lot of potential, or a singer that they could groom into a real diva, but record companies can’t afford to take that risk anymore. Now they’re looking for people who’ve already got a legitimate career going and a solid fanbase. They are then willing to sign this act because there is no risk involved. It’s a guaranteed profit.

The good news is that there is now no “middle-man” for independent musicians, like myself. There isn’t any label taking away 95% of my profits, or anyone cranking out songs that I have to agree to sing to. I get to have creative control. I can also release my records on my own timetable. I don’t have to sit on the backburner for months (or years) until someone else gets around to releasing my album. Most importantly, I get to have direct artist to fan contact! I get to send out emails like this, straight from my fingertips into your inbox. And guess what, when you hit reply, it goes straight into my inbox and I actually read it! Me. With my very own eyes. This means that you get to have a huge part in the way that I write, perform, present, and promote my music. While music is an art, and I am the artist, essentially the driving force behind what gets creative, I create based on what people like. I want to better serve you, the audience. It is a good time to be an independent musician, but also a great time to be a fan of music.

No comments:

Post a Comment